Sunday, August 6, 2017

The First Few Days

So it's early on day 3 as a mom.  I've been wide awake since 5am (the last time Zay got up) and although it was Trent's turn to feed him and get him back to sleep I couldn't get myself back to sleep and decided I better start doing some writing for you all.  :)  So I'm sitting here in the dark (other than my computer screen), listening to my husband snore and my baby boy made funny little noises and could not be happier.  Thank you God for such amazing blessings in my life!

Back to Day 1.  Isaiah (or Zay as we are calling him) is overall a pretty easy baby.  He only cries when he's hungry, dirty or cold (he hates being cold).  Otherwise he's pretty chill.  The first day and night went pretty good and were fairly uneventful.  We traded off times getting up with him and although he didn't eat as well as his did the during the day, it wasn't terrible.

Day 2 was our first full day with him.  Again, pretty easy baby.  Slept a lot and ate better.  I got out for a little bit to get a few needed items for the baby and a few groceries for our little "home away from home" in the Residence Inn.  My mom booked her flight to come on Saturday and Trent's parents made plans to drive down and arrive on Monday, so we are excited to have reinforcements on their way.  I know many more would have loved to have to come visit, but we limited it to the grandparents only.  Planning for all of this, we read books that said to keep this time to just us for bonding and at first that was our plan.  But we later decided we couldn't hold off the grandparents from visiting and told them they could come.  We are so glad we did as I have no idea what we were thinking when we thought we could do this for days on end with just us!

The second night was rough.  Zay was fussy most of the night and barely ate or slept.  Finally around 5am he decided to sleep.  I guess we all know who is in charge now.  ;)

Day 3 brought reinforcements in the form of an "old" friend from my freshman year at SLU and Nona Lembke!  My friend Alli from SLU stopped by and brought over a bouncy seat to use while we are down here.  It was great to see her again and catch up.  It's amazing how people come and go in our lives but some you know will always be there for you.  Alli is one of those amazing people.  We were immediate friends at SLU, living on the same floor together, and although I've only seen or talked to her a handful of times since then, we are able to pick up like we just saw each other last week.

After Alli left, all 3 of us loaded in the car to make the trip to airport to pick up my mom.  It was so great to have extra help and another person to talk to.  I would love to have my Dad here too, but the bike trip to Sturgis was already scheduled, so he was leaving for that.  That, and we all know there was no way Nona was going to share her time with Zay with anyone else!  :)  With my mom here I was able to get some laundry done and in hopes that he would sleep better, washed the sleep sac that the hospital gave us when we left. Oh my that thing is amazing!  I'm sure you're wondering how a new mom is awake at 5am and can't sleep while the baby is sleeping?  Well that's because Zay slept for two 4 hour stretches last night.  That's right, less the 30 minute feeding at 1am, I got 7.5 hours of sleep last night.  Thank you God for sleep sacs!  First thing we will be doing after mass this morning is going to buy more of those!  :)  And then I'll be taking a nap, because even I know I shouldn't be up right now.

I can't thank you all enough for all of your prayers and support this last year and half and especially these last few days.  We both felt all of your prayers from here and know that we could not have made it this far without all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment